10 Reasons Why You Should Drink Lemon Water in the Morning
by LA JOLLA MOM
As you may know, I’m starting a BluePrintCleanse tomorrow morning. To prepare,
BluePrintCleanse suggests that I drink lemon water first thing in the morning to kick start my
digestive system. The water added to the lemon juice should be lukewarm, or as hot as I can
tolerate. I decided to look into why this is recommended and after what I’ve learned, I’m thinking
about making lemon water a regular habit. One reason that I want to do this because according to a dermatology study, lemon water can help improve skin health.
1. Boosts your immune system: Lemons are high in vitamin C, which is great for fighting colds.
They’re high in potassium, which stimulates brain and nerve function. Potassium also helps control
2. Balances pH: Drink lemon water everyday and you’ll reduce your body’s overall acidity. Lemon is one of the most alkaline foods around. Yes, lemon has citric acid but it does not create acidity in the body once metabolized.
3. Helps with weight loss: Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings. It also has been shown that people who maintain a more alkaline diet (see #2) lose weight faster. And the inclusion of lemon in any personalized medical weight loss plan is easy.
4. Aids digestion: Lemon juice helps flush out unwanted materials. It encourages the liver to
produce bile which is an acid that required for digestion. Efficient digestion reduces heartburn and
5. Is a diuretic: Lemons increase the rate of urination in the body, which helps purify it. Toxins are,
therefore, released at a faster rate which helps keep your urinary tract healthy.
6. Clears skin: The vitamin C component helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes. Lemon water
purges toxins from the blood which helps keep skin clear as well. It can actually be applied directly
to scars to help reduce their appearance. Lemon water is also one of the natural ingredients you can find in whitening creams according in one of the most intimite skin lightening advice for skin care.
7. Freshens breath: Not only this, but it can help relieve tooth pain and gingivitis. The citric acid
can erode tooth enamel, so you should monitor this. I admit, I’m slightly worried about it.
8. Relieves respiratory problems: Warm lemon water helps get rid of chest infections and halt
those pesky coughs. It’s thought to be helpful to people with asthma and allergies too.
9. Keeps you zen: Vitamin C is one of the first things depleted when you subject your mind and
body to stress. As mentioned previously, lemons are chock full of vitamin C.
10. Helps kick the coffee habit: After I have a glass of hot lemon water, I actually don’t crave
coffee in the morning. This is weird, I can’t explain it, but I’ll take it.
The one thing I couldn’t find a concrete answer for is why the water has to be hot. Having studied
Chinese Medicine, I can only assume that cold water likely provides a shock or stress factor to the
body. It takes energy for your body to process cold and really hot water, believe it or not. I asked
BluePrintCleanse how much lemon the recommend you put in your water. They suggested just a
wedge or 1/8 of a lemon.
Tip: Grind the used lemon rinds in your garbage disposal to help deodorize it.
If you drink lemon water first thing in the morning, how is it going for you? This is my bowl of
lemons in my Tiffany Atlas bowl, which will be empty by the end of the week.
“According to the “Fair Use” clause of International Copyright Law, the authors declare that the use of the photos, videos and information in this academic research are analyzed for purposes of “criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research” according to Section 107 of Title 17 of the US Code.”